We are seeking a Director, State Communications to join our fast paced communications team. The position will be based in Sacramento, CA. The integrated communications and digital team at Internet Association is the industry’s voice on matters of public policy and shapes how stakeholders view our industry through the press and our digital properties.
We are looking for someone who can work across functions to advance our agenda on policy issues in state legislatures and local governments all across the country. Whether legislatures and city councils are in or out of session, they will be the go-to media resource on internet policy. When an internet-related policy issue crops in a statehouse or city council chamber, reporters should know IA will be the go-to voice for the industry.
The ideal candidate for this position will have deep California press ties and a proven ability to drive regional and local press across the United States. They will be a team player, a self-starter, and a person willing to learn new skills and take on a variety of assignments.
The Director, State Communications reports to the Senior Vice President, Global Public Affairs & Communications who is based in Washington, DC.
Activities and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute external communications programs around our 50-state policy issues.
- Find new and exciting ways to tell our story both digitally and in the press.
- Background press and prepare executives/spokespeople for media interactions and public appearances.
- Handle media requests, arrange press interviews, assist in writing press releases, op-eds, and statements, pitch journalists, etc.
- Understanding of tech policy.
- Work in close collaboration with our state and federal policy teams to develop consensus around our message.
- Co-manage IA’s digital assets.
- Be willing to travel up to 20 percent of the time and be where the action is.
- Do what’s necessary to get the job done.
- BA/BS degree required
- Five years of communications/public affairs experience – firm experience a plus
- Excellent creative writing and verbal communications skills
- Works well under pressure and in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple, competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a small team
- Willingness to learn new skills and participate in new projects
- Ability to take initiative; motivated and self-starting
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org