We are seeking a Director, State Government Affairs, Midwest Region to join our growing state advocacy team. The position will be based in Chicago, IL. Internet Association’s state team is responsible for ensuring the internet industry’s perspective on public policy is effectively represented in state capitals throughout the country. The Midwest director will lead IA’s advocacy program in multiple states in the region, including Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio.
The ideal candidate for this position will be someone with a passion for internet policy and politics, and a clear track record of advocacy leadership and success. This person will be a team player, a self-starter, willing to learn new skills, and take on a variety of assignments.
The Director, State Government Affairs, Midwest Region reports to the Vice President, State Government Affairs who is based in Sacramento, CA.
Activities & Responsibilities:
- Build and manage strategic relationships with state government officials in the midwest region; help shape strategic policy positions in coordination with the state and policy team
- Coordinate with association members to develop political strategies to achieve desired outcomes
- Plan for and track relevant committee hearings, legislation, and state proposals and communicate relevant information to member companies and association colleagues in an efficient and effective manner
- Develop written analysis, testimony and background materials as necessary in support of IA’s objectives
- Represent IA’s position on relevant matters before state government bodies and decision makers, including at legislative hearings
- Speak with members of the press to articulate IA’s position on issues when appropriate and in coordination with the communications team
- Build strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders to advance desired outcomes
- Help plan and execute various IA events, including policy and political events
- Work collaboratively with the communications and legal/policy teams to ensure that any efforts assigned or undertaken are in alignment with IA’s overall mission, messaging and strategy
- Think outside the box to help identify unique opportunities to advance IA’s overall objectives
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum of 7 years current and relevant experience in state government relations
- Multi-state government relations experience is a plus
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of state legislative and regulatory systems
- Willingness to travel to other state capitals as needed
- Bachelor’s degree is required, advanced degree is a plus
- Detail-oriented, self-initiating, well-organized, and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and independently
- Results oriented and exhibits excellent judgement
- A high level of energy, a positive attitude, an ability to think outside the box, and a willingness to take on all variety of assignments as part of a growing and dynamic team
Significant travel may be required. Salary dependent on experience.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org