Legal and Policy Intern, Spring Term
Internet Association represents over 40 of the world’s leading global internet companies. IA’s mission is to advocate for a policy environment that will foster innovation, promote economic growth, and empower people through the free and open internet. Internet Association ensures that the internet industry, separate from the broader technology community, has an effective voice both in the United States and around the globe.
DEPARTMENT: Legal and Policy Affairs
POSITION: Intern, Legal and Policy
We are seeking enthusiastic interns to help support the Internet Association’s advocacy on key internet policy issues. Interns will provide policy and legal research and writing support to the IA’s current projects and day-to-day office functions. The intern is required to work between 20-30 hours/week. Internships with IA’s Legal & Policy Department provide exposure to a wide range of regulatory, legislative, and policy issues confronting our technology and internet member companies, including privacy, content moderation, digital economy, communications connectivity, AI, and more. In addition, interns will work closely with experienced attorneys and contribute substantive support to IA’s leadership.
This is a fantastic opportunity to get hands-on experience working at a trade association in the center of the most important legal and policy issues relating to the tech industry.
REPORTS TO: General Counsel & SVP, Legal & Policy Affairs
- Assist in legal and policy research and writing.
- Assist in analysis of proposed legislation, including impact on member companies.
- Monitor proposals from relevant regulatory agencies and assess their effect on Internet Association member companies.
- Support litigation efforts, including monitoring potential cases, reviewing draft outlines and briefs, and working with member companies to achieve acceptable consensus documents.
- Identify an emerging policy issue, research the issue and develop corresponding advocacy materials.
- Currently pursuing or recently completed a JD.
- Able to work at least 2.5 days per week during core office hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for the equivalent of a semester.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong policy and legal research skills.
- Strong legal writing and citation skills.
- Strong creative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, prioritize multiple tasks, and manage time efficiently.
- Strong interest in internet and technology policy.
- Be a flexible and enthusiastic team player.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds at times.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Due to COVID-19, this position is currently remote.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to email@example.com with the subject line of “Legal and Policy Internship”.