We are seeking a Manager, Communications to join our fast-paced communications team. The position will be based in Washington, DC. The integrated communications and creative team at Internet Association is the industry’s voice on matters of public policy and shapes how stakeholders view our industry through the press and our digital properties.
We are looking for someone who can work across functions to advance our agenda on policy issues with Beltway, national, tech, and state press. This candidate will be the go-to media resource on internet policy for reporters both in- and outside-the-beltway. Whatever the tech policy news of the day, this individual’s job will be to ensure reporters know IA is the go-to voice for the industry.
The ideal candidate for this position will have strong tech, political, and national media ties and a proven ability to drive earned media across markets. They will be a team player, a self-starter, and a person willing to learn new skills and take on a variety of assignments.
The Manager, Communications reports to the Senior Vice President, Communications and Public Affairs who is based in Washington, DC.
Activities and Responsibilities
- Handle media requests, arrange press interviews, assist in writing press releases, op-eds, and statements, pitch journalists, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters at top-tier, Beltway, tech, and regional outlets.
- Develop and execute external communications programs around our IA’s lead issue areas.
- Find new and exciting ways to tell our story, in the media, written content, and digitally
- Background press and prepare executives/spokespeople for media interactions and public appearances.
- Maintain a deep understanding of tech policy.
- Work in close collaboration with our state and federal policy teams to develop consensus around our message.
- Co-manage IA’s digital assets.
- Do what’s necessary to get the job done.
- BA/BS degree required
- Four to five years of communications/public affairs experience – Capitol Hill, industry, or agency experience a plus
- Excellent creative writing and verbal communications skills
- Works well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple, competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a small team
- Willingness to learn new skills and participate in new projects
- Ability to take initiative; motivated and self-starting
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to [email protected]